Saturday, February 2, 2008

Irving High School

I spent a little time this afternoon in a nostalgic fog. I went looking for a link in an old email account that I never use and found an email from a high school friend telling about a HS band reunion that was going to take place on Jan. 3. He sent the invite back on 12/31, with only 3 days notice, so even if I had received the notice in time, I would have been hard pressed to go. Anyway, I did see that someone else on the link had pulled a bunch of friends names from the Irving High School alumni pages from Irving High's website, so I went there, registered and then surfed around for a while. I found lots of familiar names in the alumni list and I looked at pictures of the school and all the activities going on there. My old high school has changed some, but there's a lot about it that is still frighteningly familiar.

I don't have as many great memories of this school as I'm sure some people do; I was transplanted there in the middle of my Sophmore year and had to make new friends - which I'm not especially good at, since I'm pretty shy around strangers. Still, I do have some good memories of this school. Being a band geek and hanging out with all my band geek friends, my first date, working long hours on the yearbook, a few excellent teachers and some friendships that have lasted me to this day.

No comments: